GENEVA, OH- It was a tale of two halves last night at Spire Institute. The first saw domination on both sides of the ball for Hubbard. Coming out of the gates hot, Evan Jarvis and company needed just 6 plays in 3 minutes to get into the endzone and on the board first.

After sophomore Yianni Hazimihalis stepped in front of Geneva quarterback Ben Scibona’s pass, Hubbard would take over at midfield. Unfortunately for Hubbard, this drive would entail the first of many turnovers on the night, when Jarvis’ pass was picked off at the Geneva 40-yard line.

Following a scoreless Geneva drive, Hubbard would take over at their 20 and marched down the field in just 12 plays, capping it off with a 24-yard touchdown run by T.C. Caffey. Geneva would respond with a touchdown of their own on the ensuing possession, but T.C. Caffey was able to push the game back out to two scores with another touchdown run, this time from 42 yards out, allowing Hubbard to go into the half ahead, 19-7.

Hubbard had dominated the first half, but the second was all Geneva. Receiving the ball first in the second half, Geneva would convert on 4thdown twice and would take over 8 minutes to get into the endzone, moving the score to 19-14.

Looking to pick up where they left off, Hubbard started their drive at their own 26, but ended it at their own 24, going 3 and out before punting the ball away.

The only people stopping Geneva in the second half were themselves, and they did just that on the ensuing possession when a holding penalty set them back and would eventually lead to a punt.

After finding receiver, Landan Bates on the near sideline, Jarvis and company were back in Geneva territory, but the senior quarterback would put the ball on the ground for his 2nd turnover of the game.


On Geneva’s next drive, it appeared as if the entire city was taking on the Hubbard defense, as they marched methodically down the field, and into the endzone for their first lead of the game with just 2:19 remaining, a successful 2 point conversion put Geneva ahead 22-19.

Down but not out, Hubbard took the field at their own 30-yard line. After a great run by T.C. Caffey for a 16-yard gain, a late hit by a Hubbard offensive lineman would negate the big gain and momentum shift. The very next play, Jarvis floated one over the middle and had his pass intercepted.

After a huge stop by the Hubbard defense, Geneva was forced to punt with a little over 1-minute remaining in the game. Selling out for the punt, Hubbard was able to block it, and take over at the Geneva 36 yard-line trailing by a field goal.

Taking advantage of the aggressiveness of Geneva in the second half, Hubbard dialed up a screen pass to T.C. Caffey, who would get down to the 10-yard line, but once again, the huge gain by Caffey was negated, this time by a questionable holding call.

With their best play wasted, Hubbard had nothing to produce through the air. On 4th down with their season on the line, Jarvis lobbed one down the field in hopes of a big play from the receiver, but his pass would be picked off, his 3rd interception of the game, 4th total turnover. For the second straight year in a row, Hubbard has given a team their biggest win in school history.



Hubbard: Although not confirmed, there have been talks of Hubbard taking on Niles (5-3), who also was eliminated this Friday in the playoffs.

Geneva: The Eagles will face off against the #1 ranked team in Division 3, the Chardon Hilltoppers (7-0).

*Contributed By YSN’s Jamie Thomson